PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 15:52
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to have a few extra aerials fitted.
A significant proportion of the UK's 1970's JetRanger population wore a dual-antenna configuration and which, one assumes, was the VOR receiver? On a handful of 500's (during the same period) these were also present but, as you can see from the image, were contoured to follow the belly of the craft. On 206's with 'highs' or pop-outs this arrangement posed little problem but on 'shorts' the antennas would sometimes return to base bent and buckled!

Do you know what happened to G-JAMI which I read about earlier in the nostalgia thread?
G-JAMI began life in the US as N18090 as a 1978 manufactured 'straight L' LongRanger which became the personal mount of James Anthony McCaughey (the JAM in JAMI) who (if I remember rightly) was the owner of Heart of England Helicopters.

The beautiful G-JAMI outside the Dollar Helicopters hangar at Coventry Airport in 1980

In 1983 this craft was sold to Osterman's Aero of Sweden who operated her as SE-HMO. In 2000 HMO was sold to Turkey where she flew as TC-HHC returning to Sweden two years later to fly again as SE-HMO in the Ostermans stable. As far as I know the craft still flies and was never up-graded (ie. she is still a straight L).

On 25th March 1983 G-JAMI was re-registered as SE-HMO flying for Osterman's Aero and is seen here at Stockholm's Arlanda airport on 8th October 1983 still wearing her original colours. (Photo: Hans Wallin)

G-JAMI was the second LongRanger delivered to the UK (March 1978) after the Ferranti-managed G-BFAL (August 1977).

She was (in my view) the second most 'handsome' LongRanger to fly in Europe during the late 70's after Essex Oil's 3A-MSX (see post 1143).