PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to fly a Herc!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 15:39
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
highveldtdrifter

'Shewhomustbeobeyed' has just made me comfortable in my bathchair and brought me a cup of tea.

I don't know enough to get involved in this argument, but what this Herc' nav from the Dark Ages (67-73) would like clarified is; what were the good practices that the USAF were using in '67? Was all their EFATO and other emergency training done in the simulator?

If so, and considering the first 25 RAF Herc crews were trained in the US and there were several pilots around who had done exchange tours with the cousins and others on the Herc (one of the first Herc trappers,Mike Nash being one and the CO Changi 67-9 Grp Capt Merriman another, the latter having been a trapper with the USAF), why were these practices not taken up at the time by the RAF.

I wonder was it because all their Airships in those days were exWW2 pilots, and in some cases pre-war, and were either too proud or too arrogant to accept that other air forces were ahead of us?

Certainly if I could have had a £ for every time I read the EFATO check list I would have a tidy sum invested now! I don't recall ever experiencing one for real.