PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 15:14
transcendental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LET'S BE HONEST WITH OURSELVES HERE

The CTC Maths test is farcical. It's below GCSE level mental arithmetic.

The fact that someone on here failed it and was allowed a resit, then goes on to say that "CTC doesn't let just anyone in," is a statement lacking credibility.

To put this into a wider context, though, the BA DEP test battery of verbal reasoning, maths and capacity test were no harder, a bit harder, the same respectively.

In real world context of practically flying a jet on the line, with a fully working FMGC and a calculator in your bag, I will happily and honestly admit to requiring no greater abilities than using my 1 to 10 times tables (3 in particular), a bit of rounding, subtraction, addition and very coarse division.

This illustrates a serious problem of self-perception amongst wannabes and newbies.

The skills and abilities to be a commercial pilot are neither particularly special nor do they set you apart from the rest of humanity, thereby giving you some reason to blow sunshine up your own arses and think the world, the training school or any airline owes you jack **** at the end.

Pilots I fly with are not stupid people (but I only fly with Captains, the majority of whom did not come through the CTC-esque route). In this game now, the primary thing required is access to cash to fund your chosen route to license and beyond. Anyone can get the cash, if they want it badly enough. Anyone.

The entire assessment process for CTC, FTE, OAA, BA ad others are laid bare on this forum and others, effectively enabling people to conduct the most focussed form of preparation possible. It couldn't be much easier.

Still, people fail CTC selection and experienced pilots fail BA DEP selection at paper, interview and sim stage. There are a lot of reasons why.

In my opinion, one major thing that sets pilots apart from others is the will to accept the responsibility. Another is the base level ability to absorb information through all senses, scan, process and act on it. This can be massively improved with practice, but we all know people who can barely drive a car, don't we?

The ATPL exams can be completely cheated because the system is corrupted by practically first principles. Those exams are not a barrier to entry.

The truth about where you are going with these schools is also out there, for all to see. Train with CTC now and you are training to be a contract pilot on Flexicrew, one of the ****test contracts in the flying world. If anything else, such as Qatar, comes up when you are in the hold pool, that's luck not skill that gets you a go at that chance. That's the minority case.

Following this route now, into the right hand seat under Flexicrew contracts is literally destroying the present and future state of the job of commercial airline pilot. Not just in easyJet, but in BA and anyone who competes with eJ. Ryanair did it first, now eJ, and BA are on the way, starting with their FPP Cadet scheme, which is the SAME as CTC Wings for eJ used to be, with all the same risks.

What you are entering is not a profession. Remember that when you start on a Flexicrew contract, before you start whining to the Captain. At best, it's now a vocation, except what other vocation will have you possibly bankrupt at the end of the training period, or still possibly in that position while you're doing the job?

There are significant numbers of pilots in eJ now who cannot afford to pay their loan, their rent, their bills, get to work and buy food. These people are jointly responsible for 160 lives and they are being treated worse than monkeys, and they are trapped in debt, partly through their original choices, and that debt situation is exploited by CTC and eJ for their own profit gains.

They won't be sacked because the zero hour contract makes that unnecessary even if the airline's overcrewed by 30%. Because they have a contract, they can't claim the dole. Not sure if they can claim any other form of income support, but the fact that I am telling you about airline pilots and income support in the same paragraph should tell you what you need to know.