PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to obtain a big loan for pilot training?
Old 11th Jan 2012, 14:51
Tsym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you mentioned a figure in your post, but I would definately advise you to over-budget as much as you possibly can. The flight training can cost anywhere between £40-£70k depending on method, time frame and providor, but really this is just a baseline cost. You will also need to factor in any said loan repayments, 2+ years of no work whilst training, lodging, food, car insurance, petrol and all the little stuff down to hair cuts that all add up whilst not in employment.

It isnt all doom and gloom - far from it. Just be realistic and over budget is all im encouraging. With that being said, if you can get onto some kind of mentored scheme, alot of these come with some kind of bursary system or part sponsorship. Yes, these are extremely competitive to obtain, but such is the nature of the entire industry.

Unfortunately the current economic state has had a negative effect on banks lending (but hey, its the over-lending that contributed to the issue in the first place!). With that said, there are still banks out there that are still lending - and if you can get onto a mentored scheme, any form of paperwork with an airlines name written all over it does help when trying to obtain a loan.

As I am sure you have read numerous times on this forum though, qualifying with your licences is by far the easiest part. Jumping from a twin prop 4-seater aircraft up to an airliner with 2 jet engines and close to 200 seats is an extremely difficult thing to do. Whilst I do not proclaim to be anything close to an expert on the industry, times have changed. Banks arent really taking risks, and nor are airlines. Expect to pay your way into an airline (if your lucky), or float around for several years in GA networking/instructing/sweating your butt off. Neither is a bad thing, just depends how you see it.

Have you tried applying for the Cathay Pacific cadet scheme? Its fully mentored, fully paid for, and with a job on a wide-bodied airline at the end of it all. And the best bit is that they are actively recruiting as we speak. I personally know of 2 friends who have been offered a placement on the scheme this past week alone. What a way to start a career!

Best of luck with it all. Persistance and positive thinking will get you to where you want to be eventually...