PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbushe Memories (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 11:59
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
On the 3rd.of May 1964 I had a 15 min.flight in Prentice G-AOPL,can anyone remember the machine?,a rare bird nowadays.
Remember it? I'll take the memories of it to my grave. I bought the beast in 1967 for £700 at Shackletons (Sywell) in 1967 and flew it to Sharjah, not without tribulations, and after flying it around the Trucial Oman (UAE) for a while persuaded an RAF Twin Pin pilot that he wanted to fly it to South Africa, which he did with a colleague to navigate. Not without tribulations.

It was sold in Durban to a young farmer who was going to fly it to a hill farm and use it to commute to Durban. I have always thought that if he got it on the ground at the hill farm it would never leave it again, and a good thing too.

If I can remember or find my Photobucket password I'll show you a picture of G-AOPL in Sharjah, which has been in another thread in the past.

My only memory of Blackbushe was landing there one day in the Royal Artillery Auster, parking and walking across the apron to report and have a cup of coffee. I was confronted on route by an angry little fellow who had dashed out to berate me for parking where I had, which was where ATC told me to go. He was beside himself with rage. It turned out that he was a retired RAF person called AVM Bennett, of well-deserved fame but short on Customer Relations skills, who ran the airfield.