PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Flying...is it safe ?!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 11:38
M-ONGO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use both of them Peter. Is this a p#ssing competition? How many vac failures or alternator failures have you had? You fly IFR at high altitude (for a light aircraft) - do you have 2 vac pumps on the TB, or indeed a backup alternator? If not, why not? I'm sure a backups could be fitted, especially as its an N reg you own.

Common sense dictates if your going to fly solid IFR you would not let these items go on until failure. Prevention is better than cure don't you think? After all, as you state, being an owner is the only way you can fly a plane that's maintained to a high standard.

I'm not saying replace/inspect every 2 years, don't get me wrong. I certainly wouldn't wait until failure however on a 10 year old aircraft though.

From your own website on backup systems it would appear you agree with me...

Socata TB20 Trinidad

Backup Vacuum: This is a second electrically driven vacuum pump. It's not a bad idea because the autopilot requires the main horizon which is vacuum powered so if the standard vacuum pump fails, you lose the autopilot as well. It's quite bulky and heavy... an alternative approach is to replace the existing vacuum pump every few hundred hours. Vacuum pumps are cheap enough to replace at every Annual if so desired.

Does this FAA rule still apply to icing?

IO540
5th Nov 2008, 12:38
Of course there is also the TB20 or the turbocharged TB21

Not made anymore but there are a number of potentially very fine 2002 specimens on the market, and Socata remains very much in business making the TBM850.

The TB2x, with full TKS, is certified for flight into icing, but only on a G-reg, not on an N-reg (because the FAA requires two alternators, etc).

Do bear in mind that full TKS costs about 50-70kg and a turbo costs another ~50kg. While the basic TB20 (20k ceiling) has a 500kg payload, the TB21 with full TKS is really only a 2-seater albeit a highly capable one. These payload tradeoffs will apply to every other type, too, so one needs to define one's mission profile carefully. For a start, most of this mission capability is not usable without the full IR unless one just wants to takeoff from Norwich and zoom up in circles over Anglia

Last edited by M-ONGO; 11th Jan 2012 at 13:50.