PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cyclone Tracy 1974
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 11:32
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can assure you Dave (crazy horse) Hitchins hated Stretton with a passion. I received more than a earful the day I arrived in TFF, and ended up in future years becoming a close mate. David died on the 18 Jan last year, and a large military funeral was held in NTL. Just why they overlooked Hitchins I have no idea, he was a ideal military man, competent, smart and a great organiser, who never suffered fools wisely. I can only think it was political, but Dave never quite got over it. His kids gave himself and myself a sign they had made, we both put it up over our shed doors, it said, " be reasonable, do it my way" I guess it says a lot about both of us. I have tried to improve. Hitchins was a great support during 89 (he hated pollies even more) and was on the side of the pilots, even if it meant that the govt. had to "borrow" his beloved aircraft, and it would be safe to say, (and he always used to say it) that he was the prime unpaid producer for QF as he steadily churned out pilots and flight engineers that left his Squadron for greener fields, and I guess some of the current Skippers of today were Hitchin "trained". RIP ol fella you were one of the best, there is a bar named after him in DRW base, I cannot think of a better memorial.