PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Flying...is it safe ?!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 10:25
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying in 1996, bought my own plane, and hired an instructor to teach me in it. From the outset, the 'dangers' inherent were obvious, and in my view, maintenance-or lack of, could be a prime danger. So, entrusting maintenance organisations to look after my baby, particularly when these organisations were officially 'approved', by the regulating authority, I assumed, that all would be correct. How wrong was I.

I worked my way through ratings, added instructor hours, and attempted to understand the workings of flight, what would happen, or what one would expect to happen, with pilot induced input. Therefore I was giving myself as much chance of lessening any dangers, that I could. This is still the case,and a lot of that is knowing when to sit on the ground.

I now have gotten involved far more in maintenance, and check/double check everything the chosen shop now does. And believe me they still f*** up. That is the one aspect of owner operated flying that still bothers me from a safety perspective, and it should be the least