PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 34 Years Ago Today
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 08:37
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How life changes

C130 Techie, thank you for a ripping yarn. My service career was with the Royal Australian Air Force (1958-1981). Enlisted to train as a technician, streamed into the aircraft engine trade. Spent time in Engine Rebuilding, Line Servicing including 3 years working with a large number of RAF techo's at RAAF Base Edinburgh, South Australia. Well remember the RAF Hastings, Britannia, Argosy and ACE Freighter Constellations (on charter to the UK MOD) transiting as well as the three V bombers being based at Edinburgh. Moved to C130's in 1968 and became a C130 FE (Air Engineer) on A-E & H's, then the B707 before leaving the RAAF. Later got a position on the L1011 with Cathay and then the B747. Things I will always remember. The training I received in the RAAF made it possible for me to join Cathay. More importantly, I had not been flying for 30 months (Had been driving buses & coaches, only way I could get a command) when I was offered a job with Cathay and had not been in a C130 for over 54 months. Had to renew my civil FE licence and, thanks to the RAAF, I was able to do so using their C130E Simulator (after "bottling up" for two weeks) and two pilots to crew for my Proficiency Test by a departmental examiner. It just proved there is no point in burning bridges when leaving an employer. Another thing I will always cherish is the memories of shared experiences with the many personnel, from the RAF, RAAF and USAF, with whom I worked over my 23 years in the RAAF.