PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 34 Years Ago Today
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 08:19
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 Cents worth:

Halton Brat 1971-73

Sgt age 22yrs

Demob 1995 (22yr point) as a 10yr Chief (Gorbachov wrecked my career plans with his bleedin' Glasnost/Perestroika.....).

I've enjoyed a good life & career; my humble successes are built on the solid foundation of my Service experience, which, from a distance in time, I remember fondly. I'm now Maintenance & Engineering Manager for a B747 Cargo Airline.

A message for all of you guys & gals due to leave the Service in the coming months/years - don't underestimate your own value in the market; you have much to offer. Get civilian qualifications in your field, and remember, 'adapt & survive'. You will need to step out of uniform both physically & psychologically - remember your Service experience & utilise it, but you must integrate into civilian life fully - make the transition.

Being in the Service is like being at a really good house party - you've had plenty to drink, & the voice of wisdom in your head tells you it's time to go. However, the devil on your shoulder whispers in your ear that it's OK to stay a while longer & drink lots more.

Result:
You make a pass at the hostess (she's your best pal's wife).
You have a fist fight with your best pal in the garden due to the above.
The Police are summoned by neighbours & you are both arrested.
You wake up in the cells with a broken nose & black eyes (your pal also).
You then get to deal with your wife when you are released.

Moral: choose your own time to leave, & plan a graceful exit. Good luck to all!

HB