PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus trepidation... convince me otherwise!
Old 11th Jan 2012, 07:52
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, I'm stupid, I really don't know how to fly...

Well, I'm retired, so I can't 'try' holding the speed at 250, or whatever.

I flew Boeings for almost 23 years before I did the Bus for nine years.
Boeing makes a damn good aeroplane, there is no question. I loved the 737, especially. It's really my sweetheart. That's one of the best hand-flying planes I've ever flown....and I've flown over 30 different planes in my career.

But, the Bus is a great aircraft. It's really advanced. It's a well-designed airplane, aerodynamically...very honest....no surprises aerodynamically.

If you want to make it fly like a hand-flown 737, turn off a bunch of sXXt, go into direct law, and fly your heart out. (Only kidding)

It really does fly like any other aircraft. Really.... In my opinion, which is worth nothing, the training is a problem area. We train to learn all the
'trick-sXXt' stuff the Bus will do, and we do little actually pilot-flying stuff. Try hand-flying as much as possible...AThr OFF....you can use the bird if you like...or not.....but, be a pilot and hand fly. You'll get to where you really enjoy the stability and honesty of the Bus.

You really don't need all that trick-sXXt stuff to fly the thing....it's just an airplane, and a really well-designed one, to boot. Use as much automation as you like....or,as little as you like. It, too, is a sweet machine.

Fly safe,

PantLoad