PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will pilots be redundant in 50 years?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2002, 05:05
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 7 7 7

Yep, I've noticed that different people will use the same example to push their own agenda.

Maybe to add to unwiseowl's scenario. Computers eventually deemed reliable enough to replace FO when monitored by experienced captain, but at more critical times (statistics would suggest take off, descent, landing appear to be risky) you bring in a specially trained member of the cabin crew. This appears to be the way other professions are moving, eg Practice nurses, physicians assistants and para-legals. They can do most things safely only under the supervision of the experienced expert (whatever that is) If captain snuffs it in cruise, computer can get plane down at closest airport with ILS with assistance of para-pilot. Actually GPS should do the trick too.

I guess not long ago that would have been considered herecy in the medical profession, but the docs eventually accepted it. Pilots might not like it, but you should never say never. Pay the existing pilots more, and they would go for it. Worked on the London Buses when they wanted to phase out conductors, union solidarity soon collapsed when drivers got offered extra cash.

I'm sure its all been said before, interesting times we live in.....