PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Q - Dead in the water?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 04:57
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

The day of the announcement of RedQ- the afternoon of in fact- I happened to be in the office and saw said Fleet Manager heading off to a meeting. He asked had I heard and when I responded that I didn't understand how starting RedQ addressed the alleged losses of Qantas mainline. The Fleet Manager told me with great authority that it was all about on carriage, putting people onto QF aircraft, etc.

When I asked Lyell Strambi the same question the next day he said the two issues are unrelated in a basic sense*. They saw the opportunity to do this SE Asian thing and at the same time they needed to shrink long haul in order to stop it losing money.

*He did go on later to say that they weren't going to keep throwing money at mainline when they could throw money at RedQ so the two were related but certainly not in the way that the then 767 Fleet Manager made them out to be.

The then 767 Fleet Manager would have been better off responding to my question with 'buggered if I know, I guess I'll find out at the briefing I'm going to' instead of going with BS that was obviously wrong even to me.

Would you like to know about the unanswered emails- to the extent that I no longer bothered? The number of 'attaboy's I asked him to forward on to F/Os for a job well done but weren't- to the extent that I no longer bothered? I'm quite happy to judge a man on his demonstrated performance and I've run into very few colleagues on the 767 who do anything other than that.