PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tube boob
Thread: Tube boob
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 00:00
kentdav1973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone.

I came across this thread so decided to sign up to give my 2p.

I'm a qualified train driver. Not a tube driver which to us is something entirely different. As pointed out 3 tube lines are automatic. But even on the ones that aren't speeds are relatively low and every signal has a trip cock arm so you will be stopped if you pass a red signal. Each year if you do this is reset.

National Rail. One key difference between the entry exams for pilots and national rail drivers is : you may only fail the entry assessments ONCE. Fail twice and it's game over FOR YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME. I'm assuming I could of I had the funding take my private pilots licence test as many times as necessary

Someone said something about moving block signalling on the London to Manchester line. WRONG. Whilst some lines have automatic train protection, the train is still being driven manually. The West Coast Main Line has TASS but its designed to stop overspeeding on bends which the train tilts around. All trains are manually driven - the only automation is cruise control - and only some trains have that.

Drivers must pass a route exam on paper and a practical before being allowed to drive a route. This also takes place in the dark so route knowledge is extremely important. We are also subject to regular downloads from our version of the black box and an exam every year for the first two years. If you don't drive for 6 months you lose competence and must refresh routes / rules.

Of course this is nowhere as complex as a plane - and i'd love to be a pilot, but there are two of you fully able to fly the plane. On the trains there is only one driver. You do sometimes have a guard or conductor but they can't drive and have limited mechanical knowledge of the train and route in the event of a breakdown.

Eurostar drivers must speak French, must know Belgium french and English signalling systems as well as the TVM in cab signalling, regulations for the channel tunnel etc etc.

So as skilled as a pilot ? Of course not. But we all drive manually.