PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 20:53
Jack Carson

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From my perspective night operations were no different than day. You had to show up for work rested and ready to go. It was easier for me to do extended night shifts. I made it a point to sleep immediately following any night shifts and attempted to completely invert my rest schedule. A more experienced pilot once wisely explained that you are resting for the next shift even if the last one had no flights.

From the flight perspective I flew all flight profiles as if it were night. I always climbed to a safe obstruction altitude irrespective of weather and didn’t deviate for those profiles either day or night. If the weather wouldn’t allow this, then I wouldn’t. NO one ever questioned any nogo decisions I made over 6 years of operations. There were many instances where other pilots would comment on why I tended to cruise up in the rarefied air. My retort was that I wanted to have the altitude to accommodate at least two mistakes should an abnormal situation arise. “That is my story and I am sticking to it.”