PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 10th Jan 2012, 20:27
jamesinnewcastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

I've done loads of research already - really now I would like to know what I can't research and that's how to land one of these Bombers at night! I am aware of a huge amount about the aircraft and have all the official reports etc.

But to take the comments as they arrived:

In 1941 there was only one runway and that was grass and camouflaged (I have a luftwaffe photo from Aug 1940). It was 230/050 and at the time was only 1700 yds long.

I would like first to understand how landings were normally done. Without aids for example how did he know how high the ground was? Whatever the altimeter said about his height above sea level or the airfield - it wouldn't tell him how high the land was below him. No point in flying at 500 ft if there is a 600ft mountain in front of you!

Wind from the NE he was landing into it I assume, he was 3 miles out.

I assume that he could set his rate of decent - but again this does not mean he knows where he is in relation to any ground object. So for example - would he fly in but stay at 1000 ft until he saw the goosenecks or the Chance light and then descend?

Hipper - I have the book - you would not believe how much I've read in search of anyone describing in detail how they landed at the time! The description you have read includes a DREM landing system where the whole countryside would have looked like a City round about at night and where the pilot could have simply looked down to find his way. I believe that my pilot may have had about 15 floppy paraffin lights to come home on! (Plus the chance?).

Am I right in that the pilot would have flown up and down in parallel with the runway? Would he have executed the 180 degree turns - or would he have 'circled'

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!

James