PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 10th Jan 2012, 19:47
Hipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the book 'RAF Bomber Stories' edited by Martin Bowman and one story describes a landing of a Lancaster in 1945 (after the Dresden raid).

The home base was Binbrook, call sign BK and the aircraft was T - Tommy.

In this case, as they crossed the home coast at Ofordness, aircraft navigation lights were turned on. Binbrook's homing beacon, a flashing 'BK' was seen. Presumably the aircraft reported in but it doesn't say what was said. The control tower's response was a curt 'Tommy, 1,500 feet'. Permission to land was requested. They had permission to join the circuit. There were other aircraft nearby and they communicated with them too. At one stage 'Tommy' announces 'downwind'.

There appears to have been a ring of lights around the Binbrook circuit. There was a funnel to the start of the runway. Further radio messages from Tommy are 'Tommy Funnels', Tommy Pancake', 'Tommy Pancaking. Out. Full Flaps. 2,850 revs'.

I might be wrong but I get the impression wheels down and some flap applied would happen on the downwind leg.