PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haddon-Cave, Airworthiness, Sea King et al (merged)
Old 10th Jan 2012, 19:32
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigga,

Sorry if you got the wrong end of the stick - my fault for using loose terminology, not in any way yours. It was most certainly not my intention to imply ANY criticism of the people on the shop floor.

My use of the term 'engineers' stems from my time in the RN - in FAA squadrons, the 'engineers' are the Air Engineering Officers (AEOs), RAF equivalent are the EngOs.

My point was that maintenance of the aircraft (including fixing loose connectors) should be directed and led by the EngOs on the station or base (or ship) alone. They are responsible for maintaining the airworthiness of the aircraft by making sure that the maintainers (the 'shop floor') service and repair them in accordance with the laid down instructions.

But, in my book, they are also responsible for taking bold and correct engineering decisions when they are faced with problems not in the book. It's what they are trained for and why they have the stripes and a commission. It's not a job for aircrew.

Once again, my sincere apologies if you thought I was criticising the maintainers.

Best regards

Engines.