PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 34 Years Ago Today
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 19:27
C130 Techie
Fat Albert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
34 Years Ago Today

34 years ago today, 10th January 1978, I took the Queens Shilling and joined the Royal Air Force. Following attestation at the Southampton CIO I was given an advance of pay of £3.50 and 1 days Rate 4 (95p) for travelling expenses.
The following day I took the train to Newark where a ‘shouty man’ politely invited me and a number of others to get on a bus going to Swinderby. After a haircut which cost 35p, filling in lots of forms, being used as a pin cushion and getting some new clothes, we spent the next 6 weeks learning to walk in formation, to climb ropes and jump over boxes, shoot a gun and wear a rubber face. As part of the fun we also got to spend 3 days in Sherwood Forest in the snow for which we were rewarded with a trip in a shiny (relatively) new VC10.
Off then to Halton for 13 months of Techie training before passing out as a shiny new Junior Technician, with more money that I could spend, so it seemed and a posting to St Athan.
It all seems (and was) a long time ago now. The RAF I joined has changed a little. Then, it numbered almost 120,000 people who rarely seemed to be concerned by budgets or money. Over the years we have seen a whole raft of studies, incentives, pay reviews etc, which has brought us to today’s 38,000 (and falling) with the entire focus seemingly driven by (lack of) money.
Over the years I have managed to miss every retention bonus, been ineligible for every redundancy package, had my trade name changed a couple of times and changed trade groups. 34 years has seen many highs, a few lows, some amazing experiences and camaraderie.
Today I have three and a half years to go (assuming I get the push at 55). I have reached the top of my particular tree, am still fully fit and deployable. I still thoroughly enjoy the job I am doing and the daily challenge despite the best efforts of constant change, increased beurocracy, the odd war and uncertainty to thwart that feeling.
As has been said many times it’s all about the people and I work now as I have over the years with some great characters.
Looking forward to the remaining years.