PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 10th Jan 2012, 18:20
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
James, apologies but your initial post was so descriptive that I presummed you knew much of the jargon.

Oakington had 3 runways (RW) whose directions in (mag)netic or QDM (in the radio jargon) were 230/050 (ie Southwest/Northeast), 275/095 (west/east) and 190/010 (south/north). The QDM was the magnetic heading to steer to fly parallel to the runway.

The main runway is usually the longest and into the prevailing wind ie RW 23 which was 2000 yards long. The airfield height was 40 feet above mean sea level (asl). The only obstruction noted was a church near the approach to RW 19 (ie to the north).

You have given the weather, do you have the wind direction, that would tend to confirm the RW. Also where is the crash site in relation to the airfield?

Looking at Google it looks as if he may have been on RW 050 as Bar Hill, to the SW, is about 100 feet with higher ground or about 200 feet further out.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 10th Jan 2012 at 18:55.