PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How bad can it get in cattle class?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 16:44
smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's also surprising that fares have not skyrocketed compared to their price a generation ago, when you consider how much more the oil producers, government taxation (from a virtually zero base), and the self-feeding hordes of employees who masquerade as security, manage to have worked out of the cash in the system in more recent times.
The competition has probably increased circa 10 fold accross the atlantic over the last 30 years or so, far more seats available hence fares remaining relatively constant in monetary terms but in real terms a lot cheaper.

I think you will find most American carriers accross the atlantic will give you free soft drinks but you have to pay for alcoholic drinks, also their stewardesses are about to, or have already, collected their bus passes!!!!

Recently flew BA Heathrow to Vegas on a 747 and I found that although standards had slipped I really enjoyed the flight. In the not so distant past all the catering items were all monogramed with the BA logo etc not so now it is just cheap plastic junk. The main meal used to have quite a rigid, aluminium, removeable lid decked out in resplendant BA colours, now the main meal resembles a 3 for 2 deal from Iceland supermarket with a peel back foil.

When the drinks came round I asked for a wine and was told wine was reserved for dinner so asked for a bloody mary and a beer and was told only one drink at a time ooops.

When dinner was served wine was poured directly from a bottle, in previous years you were provided with an individual bottle.

All in all for the price I payed (£320rtn) I thought I had a great flight, food and drink service not fantastic but adequate. But to fly through the air at 550 miles an hour for 10hours for £160 is really pretty extrordinary.