PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All Quiet on the Eastern Front
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2002, 23:45
shortly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Busy B. You know that legally CX was within its rights to terminate the 49ers under the three month rule. Not morally but most assuredly legally under Hong Kong labour law. The only hope for the overseas court and labour tribunal cases, from an AOA perspective, is for the judge or whomsoever decrees to determine that the home countries labour laws apply to people of that country working overseas employed by a foreign firm. I would not think that likely in most of the cases. In the UK situation there are three classes of worker involved, those working in Hong Kong, those working for Veta and those based in the UK but working for CX. Should the decision go against CX -and I seriously doubt that, then what would be the reaction of CX? Pay some compensation and as we are talking labour tribunal here, the sums would be small. Then they would have their legal beagles go over all contracts with a fine tooth comb and screw us all completely to the wall. Not one 49er would be re-employed. However, most of us would sign the new contracts. There would be mass defections from the myopic AOA and the company would be in an even stronger position. As I have said before great strategy.