PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confined area power check - tips and techniques
Old 10th Jan 2012, 13:59
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are somewhat twisting my words. Perhaps i should have been a little clearer in my meaning of 'if you have the space' I clearly mean where is is safe to do so i.e. Clear of obstructions, wires, hazards & aircraft, and of sufficient size. Obviously one is not going to do this into an unfamiliar site or particularly confined site. Few of us only land on runways, and few of us solely land in confined areas. I was simply suggesting that where the area is clear and of sufficient size I don't consider there to be anything wrong with flying something close to the reverse of the HV diagram. As pilots it is up to us to make the decision on where this technique is and is applicable just like every other decision regarding safety.

And a big flare, close to the ground at the end of every approach? No thanks.
No. Not every approach clearly. Also flaring from 60kts at around 50' does not have to be that "big" or aggressive. Passing 25' at 40kts. It's like a transition back from a quick hover taxi. Precision transition if your used to calling it that.

An engine failure on approach should be quite manageable, a tail- or wire strike certainly isn't. Just look at the statistics, which is more likely to happen?
As stated above, you shouldn't be doing this into a site with hazards such as wires. Engine failure manageable from 150' at 30kts in an R22 with already low rpm. I don't know anyone who practices this, wouldn't like to try. Of course we all accept that risk on the majority of our approaches, your in a helicopter, it's meant to fly, but where it's safe to do so why not reduce the risk...