PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a degree in engineering make any difference to my career?
Old 10th Jan 2012, 09:29
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
A very enlightened view on the part of the Swedish government and people - higher education should, in my opinion, be selective and free, not all-inclusive but very expensive as it's become in Britain.

Regarding your age - it'll make no difference to your career. At present you have a potential flying career to age 65, in reality probably to 70+ as things develop over the next 30++ years.

2 years at this point in your life, when you presumably have no major family or financial responsibilities is of no real consequence.

One other thing however - you'd better be genuinely interested in Engineering. It's a tough subject requiring a lot of long hours and dedication - and only being really interested in it will carry you through all that. The British A level qualifications I talked about earlier won't apply to you then presumably, but you will need a good level of maths and physics for entry, and a reasonable grounding in chemistry can also be helpful.

G