View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2012, 08:25
Go Smoke
pneumono
ultramicroscopic
silicovolcano
coniosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those green l@sers are being sold in abusive intensities, but it seems to me that if shone from below they need to bounce off something high in the cockpit and will be somewhat diffused and unlikely to reach an eye with any significant energy.

What am I missing? (And fire away, of course - I realize it's a hot topic.)
I've been 'lazed' a few times now, and up until recently had been lucky enough to have not had a massive hit on my eyes.........just glancing passes and light scatter from reflected rays in the cockpit. Those were unpleasant enough and affected my vision.
However, a couple of months ago whilst GA flying at night at 3,000' I looked down out of the port side window at precisely the same moment somebody decided to laser the aircraft. I got it square in the eyes. Thankfully the autopilot was engaged and I had another pilot sat next to me as I was temporarily blinded. It was such incredibly intense light. I couldnt see a damn thing for about a minute. After that it took quite a time for the effects to dissapear and my companion had to take over the flying.
Heaven forbid that I'd been in the approach phase and on my own up front. I'm not sure that I'd have been able to manage the situation.
These damned things are dangerous.