PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2012, 22:23
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Effective operational control could be a very beneficial

but it still gets down to the loose nut behind the wheel, as posted earlier. Environmental info (weather) is historical at an op con center and doesn't have the value it should have with local experience adding perspective. Either the op control is too conservative or relies on the PIC, which can put us right back at the start, PIC continuing into a bad situation. I have had the op con raise issues for discussion, which I find helpful in that if I can't explain my plan convincingly then it's probably not well founded anyhow.
And even with effective op con, how do you prevent the killer errors: descending at night to reestablish VFR surface reference; continuing into adverse weather VFR in the hope of better weather; continuing confused about fuel aboard and endurance; and that most fatal of all maladies, get-home-itis? If the PIC isn't appreciative of the very real and immediate prospect of killing oneself, then how does somebody without immediate information make the call before the crash that's soon to follow?
The answer is the root cause- why are pilots so much more intellectually challenged at night in these decisions? Invulnerability is certainly a problem, but most pilots are not sufficiently trained in self assessment for the abrupt night shift change and/or night ops in general... My opinion.