PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2012, 21:18
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another stat out there that only something like 13% of pax using MAN head to / from the city centre, and I would guess a similar figure for BHX.

I really don't think the city is relevant. What matters is what govt bods call the 'propensity to fly' - ie the market for in and outbound traffic. Too much business is leaked from BHX and EMA to the south, and to a lesser extent the north.

BHX can only do so much about this, due to its proximity to London, however, London airports are running out of space. The airport hope to capitalise on this, but if there is a lesson here as a warning, is it not the dead duck that is MSE?

London people and visitors will want to use London airports. I could go on about LHR v Thames v LGW, but I think all of you refs will send me off for that - needless to say, the demand for London airspace will resolve itself somehow.

Which takes us back to Nigel's quote:

Sure BHX know what they are doing..well lets hope they do !
It is, of course, easier to be an armchair commentator than the people who actually have to do the route chasing, but big businesses are seconf only to big government at getting things wrong.

If anything, my biggest disappointment is not with airport management, who can only go so far with their enthusiasm for route development. Is BHX not one of the largest, and certainly longest established of BE's bases? Great things were promised with both the Q400 and the E-jets, and what have we got. Virtually all the European destinations mentioned above would surely be ideal for the E175 on whatever frequency could be supported.

So shouldn't we be venting our frustrations in the direction of Exeter?