PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to destinguish b/w ENG Stall & Surge inside the cockpit
Old 9th Jan 2012, 20:05
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GY
The little input I have received directly has basically been the chance of any one pilot experiencing more than one engine stall in a career is low and that each stall occurrence will likely be quite different (single-bang, repeating, etc)
Gee, I must be lucky! I've had at least 4, all in the F-4. Of course, on three of them I was asking a lot from the engines.
  • First was going into full AB at 30,000' at very high AOA, low speed. A single shot gun blast in the ear (intakes adjacent to cockpit) and I pulled the throttles out of AB to recover.
  • The second was in the mid-twenty thousand foot range going downhill fast at 700+ knots IAS (supersonic) while pulling the engines out of full AB back to idle. That was a bit more interesting. A loud bang, followed by 8 seconds of loud buzz and then the engine recovered.
  • The third was 33,000 feet Mach 2.165 accelerating, more or less level. The aircraft began to yaw a bit and we trimmed to move the ball back in center. There was a loud report, a thump on the airframe, the nose immediately sliced toward the problem engine and rolled a bit that way (even though it was a ~centerline thrust aircraft). Reducing power ended the problem immediately.
  • The fourth was a loud bang on takeoff around 130 knots that recovered by itself. Learned later that this was caused by FOD.
Can I claim some sort of record?