PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to destinguish b/w ENG Stall & Surge inside the cockpit
Old 9th Jan 2012, 13:37
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be very interested to read the comments from any pilot who has had the misfortune to suffer a 'real' compressor stall/surge, particularly their recollections of the sound of the initial malfunction. As an engineer responsible for creating the sound heard in simulators, getting first- or even second-hand information on the nature of such failures is pretty rare. As noted in the comments above, there are two implementations - currently we have sound effects available for a single loud 'bang' (akin to a shotgun blast), or a somewhat less dramatic series of repeating 'bangs' (more like someone smacking a metal filing cabinet with a baseball bat).

Obviously the vast majority of pilots only ever experience this type of failure in a simulator, so please don't tell me what your simulator sounds like... I may well have created the sound you are describing. What I'd love to hear is any comment from those of you that have had this happen outside of the sim - yes, real life! And, I'd be happy to get input from both military and commercial aircraft types.