PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Schooling, is your child primary 1 Sep 2012?
Old 9th Jan 2012, 13:14
flyingkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some examples
Fees divided by 12 not 10 as some school pay schedules are.

Aussie school

Fees $97500 per year (to which you will pay $24375 per year plus tax) (75% sub)
Yearly Levy $13500 (no subsidy, non-refundable)
Bus from lantau area $3000 per month ($36000 per year NO subsidy)

Total $6156.25 per child per month plus the tax of your fees

ESF primaries except Renaissance and Discovery collage as they have higher fees. (The preferred road by many due to the cost)

Fees $63000 per year (to which you pay $6300.00 plus tax per year) (90% sub)
Bus from lantau to KJS for an example $1400.00 per month (16800 per year No subsidy)

Total $1925.00 per month plus the tax of your fees
plus
Refundable capital levy of $25000 one off

Harrow

Fees $125000 per year (to which you pay $31250 per year plus tax) (75% sub)
Yearly Levy $50000 (no subsidy, non-refundable)
Bus from Lantau $1400 per month (16800 per year No subsidy)

Total $8170.00 per month plus the tax of your fees

Now here are more points

Point 1-

The current CX education allowance could be reviewed because of the following
Getting an interview at a 90 per cent subsidized school is very difficult (The preferred road by many due to the cost)

Some more examples
800 applications at Renaissance College for 160 spots
All ESF primary 1 combined not including Renaissance or Discovery - 2300 applications for 1020 spots for 2012

Point 2-

The following would be fair to many but probably not those already in the ESF and as turnandburn pointed out they will be the ones who get there subsidy decreased, should the company reduce the 90 percent.

Make the subsidy the same across the board
Include the yearly levies as a fee

To quote you turnandburn “You may open a can of worms and get offered less in the long term. Everything I have seen from them in the past has reduced benefits over time. An example change the system to cover all schools but only 80%”

You could just tell us all what school system your kids are in and then give us an account of what you did to get there, one application or did you apply to many, did you educate them in the right pre-school perhaps?, maybe give us all some insightful knowledge.

Point 3 –

In this current climate, education is one of the most stress full components to living in Hong Kong for families and the CX education allowance was negotiated many years ago. (If you know when I would like to know)

However TIMES HAVE CHANGED

Iron Skillet - I would like to quote you on another part of the forum
“the AOA takes years to send a rarely-effective email about anything”

This gets to my 4th point – I have had a pm from an AOA GC asking me to submit our research, which I want to do.
The AOA have other issues to deal with and like the PM said any research we have done is greatly appreciated. I am curious have you got off your A… and assisted the AOA with ideas about their ineffective emailing or do you just pay your fees and then get pissed off when it does not go your way.

I think I have already used this phase - getting further evidence of others in the same situation is what I am aiming to achieve, this is quite useful when something is challenged such as education, your housing, taxes All of these are benefits of your contract but sometimes a review can make the difference and to many an education review maybe needed.

Last edited by flyingkiwi; 9th Jan 2012 at 13:28.