PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 down Rio de Janeiro
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2012, 12:32
Torquetalk

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Reverse - If LTE is caused by an unfavourable vector, the aircraft torque reaction will accelerate to a given rate in nil wind. “LTE” caused by low TRRPM isn’t really LTE in this sense. In a moment of particular stupidity, I presented the TR of an R22 to a 40 KT wind and it spun so hard that it was clear that fighting the yaw with the pedal was pointless: it was easier to catch as the boom came back into wind: Pilot-induced LTE

The cause of the Rio accident remains to be determined. But there are a LOT of R44 accident videos which appear to share the same problem: over-pitching on approach to land. The “LTE” in these videos may be a secondary symptom of running out of power: More collective, excessive coning angle; decaying RRPM, more yaw;. As Rotorboat has pointed out; when this starts it will develop very quickly.

Crab - The correlator/governor system in the R44 can be response-rate variable aircraft-to-aircraft, and droop is, in-any-case, not hard to bring about. With 3 PAX and half a tank of fuel at sea level it is easy to over-pitch if the power requirement is high. A bit odd if only one person onboard admittedly; but downwind, high, hot; rapid lever application: still wouldn’t rule it out. There is a very unhappy conjunction with respect to the R44 involving poor training and overconfidence in the performance of the aircraft.

AnFI - I don’t know where you get the idea that the pilot in the Australian “LTE” video closed the throttle. Having seen the video many times and used it for teaching: this is news to me. The Yorkshire Gazelle accident is also not to be hijacked as an LTE accident: the investigators looked at a variety of possible factors which may have been contributory, of which LTE was discussed. Of no less importance was the stability of the aircraft type in difficult wind conditions (which were certainly present); and instructor over-confidence in a highly confident pilot with virtually no rotorcraft experience. Having known Paul, the report struck me as a thorough and balanced assessment of the information available. It was a very sad and unnecessary episode. Please do not cherry-pick a report to indulge in your current favourite subject.