PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS Categories. Do I have the right idea?
Old 9th Jan 2012, 10:51
silverknapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF not? I have flown G1000 equipped DA40's and 42's with synthetic vision, better equipment than an airliner
This argument troubles me a great deal. Assuming you are talking about an Efis equipped airliner then no, your G1000 Diamond is most definitely not better equipped. It may look nice, but it runs skin deep in terms of redundancy, certification etc. and Synthetic Vision? Bit of a joke really, but sadly I do see the day when someone believes the marketing crap and has an accident whilst trying to land off it. I fly synth vision equipped G1000 a lot and it's an irritation. I always switch it off, IMHO the horizon is more important to an IFR pilot than anything else. The whole 'have to land somewhere' argument is moot. If its that bad why are you there in the first place. But if I did I would be concentrating on the needles, not where Garmin think the threshold is. I also fly EVS equipped machines with the IR camera. Much better than synth vision for this doomsday scenario. But just as illegal and dangerous.