PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there a cable that connects Iphone's to your headset?
Old 9th Jan 2012, 09:44
Lancair70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have iPhone connectivity, but if I did, I doubt Id use it to recieve random calls while flying, IMHO theres more important things to be doing while sitting the LHS. Id use it if I needed to call an AWIS or other flight safety related matter. Certainly dont rely on it.

While recently flying VFR from Ballina to Rainbow Beach and return, I had a few times when I could not update anything on my iPhone or iPad, no signal, at 6000' over Tangalooma, at about 4000' nearer to Rainbow beach and again over the islands southbound at 3500' and lower. So it certainly pays to download maps and anything you might need to use on iPad BEFORE going flying (I did have the appropriate paper versions)
Using Blue tooth connection between iPhone and iPad running OZ Runways certainly chewed the battery on both devices. iPad went from 75% battery to almost flat in about 5hrs of use, iPhone from 90% to flat, but it was used for several calls, on the ground, as well.

ProTech, what is the AWIS app called, Ive looked but not found it ? ?