PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots warn about Turkish Airline in Danish news paper Politikken
Old 9th Jan 2012, 06:32
airbuspilots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you worked for THY.....

You will know what the truth is. The only fleet which appears immune from problems is that of the B777 crew. They don't live in the real world of short/medium haul crews operating B737 and A320.

THY is the least professional, most dangerous airline I have had the misfortune to work for, just my opinion or that of a large proportion of crew interviewed and employed on in 2010, well reading the replies and comments posted it would seem that most are of the opinion there is a lot wrong with this airline. How it can have been voted the European airline of the year is incomprehensible for so many reasons, delays, professional standards (or lack of them), general belief that if you are a Turkish pilot you can do no wrong, I wonder then how three died in Schipol in what for most of us was a perfectly serviceable plane in good weather conditions.

You have only to sit in the cockpit with a THY Instructor (perhaps he was?) and watching him consume two packets of cigarettes in just two, two hour sectors, taxying with a cigarette, wheels up...cigarette in mouth, so and and so forth. Having never smoked even one cigarette and understanding that it was not just against THY SOP's but the country's laws too, one has to ask the question is there anything they wouldn't do and the answer is NO.

Talking with a safety pilot from the Boeing fleet, it appears that a 737 is just another fighter, just a little bigger, but with all the same facilities for having fun. Airbus fleet seemed a little less dangerous, but is there room for improvement...YES. Will there be any improvement with present management structure....NO! Was there anything that was enjoyable about flying for the the airline that says its "we are turkish airlines, we are globally yours", simply NO. The lies, the unstable roster, the days off which were infringed by unrealistic scheduling and lack of concern for an individuals right to have an undisturbed day off if you were lucky.

Of 400 ex-pat crew employed in 2009/2010, just ask the question how many are still there? If this was such a great opportunity would you not expect to see percentages in the high 90's? Well today as far as I understand it from talking with colleagues like me who left as soon as 1 year was up, there is less than 20% left, and they cant wait to leave.

Will THY suffer another crash, incident? Without any doubt, with a culture of 'I AM THE CAPTAIN and more macho behaviour it is a forgone conclusion. Yes the reports from European airspace support the fact that THY have more level busts than any other major carrier, it is a pity that these authorities don't do something. There is enough evidence out there to support these claims, lets not wait for another Schipol or worse!Well done THY you made sure I'd never want to spend another day in Turkey or ever want to fly on a plane of yours even if it means me being delayed days, I'd take any other carrier.