PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SRG Small Helicopter Seminar - the Report
Old 21st Nov 2002, 18:23
muffin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The discussion forum could have been the most interesting and useful part of the day, but there was nowhere near anough time left for it. I too felt that the GPS session was a bit too detailed and the time spent could have been more usefully employed. The AAIB hangar visit was very thought provoking - as the group I was in entered the hangar everybody fell completely silent.

There were a lot of very experienced people in the audience including the two that have already been mentioned. With the combined knowledge of those present, a very interesting discussion forum could have developed for several hours. One point worthy of note is that the guy who has written the proposed new version of Rule 5 has only had about 20 responses so far. he is very keen to get some reaction, so an e mail to him would be carefully noted and may well carry some weight. His e mail address is on the CAA web site.

One very valid point was made by the CAA that I had never thought about before. I spent many years in a fixed wing environment flying from a succession of clubs. In that surrounding, the new and inexperienced pilot is subject to all sorts of peer pressure plus the wise old CFI and sundry instructors giving advice, particularly on whether conditions are right for you to fly or not. This helps you over a period of time to develop the ability to make a rational and safe go/no go decision. In the PPL helicopter world, no such environment exists - when did you last hear of a helicopter flying club? Hence the tyro pilot is kicked out much sooner into the world of having to make their own unaided go/no go decisions without the back up of experienced advice. Perhaps this is one ingredient that makes accidents more likely?