PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2012, 20:40
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a never ending cycle and you have to have to be brave and commit.

BHX has been very brave in this go ahead and once its built its banked forever.

Be proud of your airport as you seem to be looking for every negative possible.

Nigel
Nigel,

As I said in my earlier post, I will be very happy to be proved wrong on this one. I am not bashing the airport or mgmt, I am just doubtful about the business case for the extension.

My reference to planning was just a response to the suggestion that the market may pick up - as the airport must make a profit (- AWM input), this investment needs to start paying for itself from day 1.

Without re-igniting the MAN v BHX debate, people should remember that the geography is different - the 'leakage' from MAN to LON is more likely to be by air, hence MAN is still used anyway, whereas BHX to LON leakage can only be by road or rail. However, I do think it is fair to look at MAN's LH routes, and then ask which ones might realistically work at BHX.

If a long term route goes due to an airline re-jigging itself, fair enough, but how many BHX lh routes have been flash in the pan - despite lh usually being given longer to prove itself?

What is the current max aircraft size to reach SFB or MCO without tech stop? Can the Dreamliner make it?

Re; Europe - yes, this is looking better than last year, but there still are some huge gaps. I look forward to seeing these filled.