PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS Categories. Do I have the right idea?
Old 8th Jan 2012, 15:34
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gawd no and to be honest if I was in the situation of not much fuel coming down an ILS in a SEP on my IMC and everything was cock on, the last thing I would be doing is going around when we got to decision height. Synthetic vision or not I would keep my head down until I was 50ft QFE then look up. You are far better to crash somewhere with the AFS ready to help than having a forced landing and only seeing the ground in the last second. In all likely hood though though the landing would be uneventful as long as you nailed your cross hairs.

Its quite good training to do to be honest, I have done it under the hood in a SEP and also in the sim on my work machine. You just have to stop yourself looking up because as soon as you do you will loose the ILS. Last 20ft flight idle and pitch for the landing attitude and wait for the bang while keeping the localiser tracking spot on. Not pretty but it works.

And for all intents and purposes when I am flying privately in a SEP on my IMC I am exactly the same as a PPL holder.

Its a load of rubbish to train IMC holders to only the recommended mins. You need to get them from the word go to go down to the proper mins. When it hits the fan properly and they are scrabbling to get in they need have seen and know how senstive the G/S and LOC are. I know that there are PPL/IRs out there as well I only use IMC because thats what I am qualified for in SPA SEP's

And to add I have done it in a C172 with steam instruments under the hood with an instructor in the RHS. There is also a certain scottish examinor who has been known to do the same exercise. It actually isn't that hard, the thought of doing it is by far the hardest crutch to over come.