PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - how many hours/month in the winter and from which base?
Old 8th Jan 2012, 14:46
Kernow 101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
786hrs in last 12 months (includes the month off and 10 days off). As mentioned, they somehow manage to keep everyone around 750pa on average. That's been consistent in the 3yrs figures I have here. That's as an FO, Capts are a little higher as they are a more limited resource here ;-) and are likely to become more in demand this year. Cadets are churned through at 400 per year and with expansion stopping I expect that 750hrs per yr to drop significantly. As an old BRK contract holder the after tax pay is not great, and a reduction of say a 100hrs a year is not going to be good. The new BRK contracts are even worse! Hence I am looking to the sand.

My honest advice would be to hold back for 5yrs and get yourself some job experience elsewhere (not as a pilot) its a great reassurance to have another career to fall back on or continue whilst you are flying, and you won't worry so much about the rug being pulled from underneath you. If only more would hold back then terms might improve in order to draw more in. Unfortunately, this job still has the glamour tag for a lot and so many are willing to splash out over 70k for training and then 30k for a type to get in quick. Not realising that the vast majority will never earn more than 60k pa, IF they make it to the LHS.

But, as you said, you actually want a small number of hours flying. So this should suit you. But don't expect a lot of free time, as you will prob just be on SBY ;-)
Good luck.