PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS RA vs visual on traffic
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2012, 12:01
xma05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCAS RA vs visual on traffic

If you have a visual on traffic and still get a TCAS RA should it be followed?

I know that you can confuse the traffic and RA could be caused by something else, but let's look at a this scenario, that I take back from my PPL training in USA. I was flying a Diamond DA-20 at 2500 MSL and a 737 joining the downwind on a visual approach passed right below me at 2000ft. The separating was 500 ft. ATC had advised him of me and he had me in sight, I didn't see him until he was almost under me because he came from under my wing (from my 8 o’clock). Do you think he had TCAS RA? I had mode C and TIS installed in a Garmin 430 and had TA on him, but TIS (traffic information system) is not a full TCAS.

Recently one of the captains in our company flying a regional jet had a similar situation in Germany. ATC made sure he had a visual on small VFR traffic and patter after which he was cleared for approach and he had RA with, which he did not follow, as he had the traffic in sight. Was he right in your opinion?

I didn’t find any manuals recommending the course of action in that kind of situation.