PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS Categories. Do I have the right idea?
Old 8th Jan 2012, 10:50
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guilty as charged of posting coming back from the pub. I would hope that any of us who still maintain there FI and SEP after moving on from full time instructing don't have a Sky god mentality. The fact is that single pilot IFR operations carry far more work load than we have in multicrew ops. I do apologise. What I meant was that the on going training and engineering and also CAA approval would not be avialble to 99.9% of private pilots. Also as well you need to keep currency going with it for both the aircraft and the crew. Its something like 2 approaches a month.

There are a few aircraft that can do CAT II hand flown.

The advanatages of CAT II and CAT III usually come into play when your searching for a suitable diversion and also the drop in RVR's required before the approach ban kicks in. I think most folk that have just beat the appoach ban at 4 miles with droping viz will have made and approach and landed. But your running the risk of having a cork type accident.

The commmon mistake is to bubble up when you get the runway and loose it again. Or the other one is for folk to dive towards the approach lights, this is usually more of an issue with CAT II lighting which is quite powerful and if your not used to it can give you false impression that your over the threshold when you have another half mile to run until you get to the sea of lights which is the Touch down zone.

Alot of companys have a play with CAT II and then discover that the addition expense for the training and engineering is actually way in excess of the cost of canceling flights on the number of times that CAT II would have made a difference anyway.