PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 - Vr split on long runways
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2012, 08:18
Crossunder

Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like mutt said; why not just ask your chief pilot?

This is most likely due to a company policy to have the computer give you a V1 optimised for, say, slippery runways? They want their pilots to be "go minded".
There must be a reason why you don't get the whole V1 range presented; they do not want you to choose your own V1 based on runway length vs. runway condition. Maybe they don't trust their pilots to make a sound judgement?
My company wanted V1GO to be used for every take-off, because we operate on many short and sometimes slippery runways. They were afraid that some schmuck would some day select V1STOP and be "stop minded" instead of "go minded" when taking off on a short, slippery runway. This caused many pilots (idiots) to start increasing their V1 to a ramdom "suitable" value on 3.000m+ runways when the computer came up with a V1 of e.g. 93 kt and a Vr of 130. FOs started filing reports, and consequently, the company changed their policy: We now get a more optimised (higher) V1 when taking off from long (2.500m+) runways. However, we are still not given a V1 range, like some other companies I know of. As a captain, I'd like to be able to choose from a V1 range (baed on actual conditions and my own experience) rather than have some desk jockey decide what's the "on average best" V1 for me for any given take-off...