PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 8th Jan 2012, 08:06
Thick E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stelios 1984

Welcome to the discussion. Reading your previous posts in which you considered a Ryanair Brookfield contract fair, do you not think that by BA going down this path, that this will be a slippery slope that the management will use continually to erode T & Cs?

The concern that an argument is being manipulated out of a scenario which should not be directly held against the pilots concerns me. The full facts are not being given, I am told that a BALPA PN has not been involved in the discussions between the management and the CC, which leads me to suspect that there is more to this than meet the eye. If this is correct then it would lead me to suspect that either BALPA do not wish to be a part of these discussions or that the CC are taking an enormous leap of faith which if not fully tested by BALPAs legal team could end up coming back to haunt pilots for years to come.

The two Companies Union CCs should be talking together in order to ensure that one group is not played off against the other. At the moment if we DODAR, can we really be sure that we have fully "Diagnosed" the situation or is this just what the management wish us to believe? If not then our mental model is flawed. I'm not paranoid but equally I do not enjoy being played second fiddle.

There is potential here for a serious shake down of the BA seniority system, which could be challenged if the two pilot groups feel agrieved by the terms of the integration. Seniority is part of the framework by which a BA pilot's career depends. This is why I think it is imperative that the BACC don't just get into bed with the management and ensure that the full picture is learned before agreeing to anything.

I appreciate that the holdpoolers have been swimming for a considerable time now and that they are getting tired. However, it is crucial that all avenues are explored first prior to lighting the wrong touch fuse, which could bring down all the hard fought agreements over the years both at BA and in the airline industry in the UK.