PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off Shoring Of Work.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2012, 23:15
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Shoring Of Work.

This applies to many jobs including Pilots and Flight Attendants, but primarily Engineering jobs.

Way back in the good olde days (cannot remember the exact date but over 40 years ago) when I was just an Apprentice, Ansett arranged for aircraft to be ferried to Hong Kong for major checks/overhaul, even though they had very extensive facilities here in Australia, a plan obviously to save money.

One of the Carvairs was the first aircraft booked to go, and it was also taking with it many components etc for overhaul too.

The Australian Government of the day, I cannot remember whether it was Liberal or Labor, stepped in and blocked this idea as they said it was against the National Interest, they wanted this work and the expertise of the people doing the work here in Australia to remain IN Australia in case of Wars etc and the possibly Australia may become isolated from where this work was being done off shore, also Ansett did much work for the RAAF as Qantas does now.

Surely the same still applies today, especially since 9/11 and we have Wars going on involving Australia, so why is it Companies are being allowed to do this now, Qantas seem to be doing it more and more and I believe (someone will correct me if I am wrong) Virgin too, I know they certainly used to.

Incidentally, that ONE Carvair was allowed to go as it was all arranged, but NO other aircraft were allowed to go, in the National Interest and keeping all that expertise IN Australia.

The current Australian Government should do the same thing for the very same reasons.