PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes a Flying School a good school?
Old 7th Jan 2012, 21:56
GeeWhizz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simplicity

When I was a student I loved the simplicity of the school:

On the facilities front: telephone booking and being able to book as many slots as I liked into the future, a comfortable reception, and a cafe for pre and post flight coffee, with many people to chat to and bounce ideas off of. A good enough briefing room, with plenty of equipment available to borrow at no extra cost (ELT, spare headsets, life jackets etc). Wet rates, up front or in advance; take off to landing + 10mins (5 either side) easy. A small friendly aerodrome, with little taxy time and choice of runways to prevent cancellations due to crosswinds, or the opposite for crosswind traning, although busy both movement related and social. The latter to gain confidence in and around the circuit.

For the aircraft and operation of: all parked in a place that meant no pulling or pushing about hangars or fences or wherever, maintained on site, and enough aircraft so that down time was minimal (sometimes though we have to accept that an aircraft being unserviceable may have been due to a fellow pilot having a very bad day - and people are more important than aircraft).

Overall pitch up, brief and go fly. The quality of instructor has been over done here, but I'll add that a long drawn out ground brief becomes monotonous and learning stops. I liked the possibility of briefing a simple lesson during the climb up to exercise altitude. Also flying with an instructor that knows flying should be fun is a good thing. Sometimes I think we all need to (safely) do silly things: hovering/flying backwards in high winds, low level etc.

Even after gaining the little scrap of paper this simplicity continues and I enjoy flying from the same place. Having flown from another club also, I know which I prefer. My (ex-)instructor is always happy to chat about doing new things and provide advice or ideas on a better way to do what I plan to. ('ex-' bracketed because they will be my instructor regardless of my qualification or experience until no longer with the school).

KISS: Keep It Simple Stoopid!

GW