PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Progress vs 43 airschool
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2002, 16:41
bruce.benson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight deck chap,

I did my CPL/IR with Progress. Admittedly it was 1 & 1/2 years ago now but for what it's worth here's my summary.

Progress is run by John English and a very fine pilot, instructor and flying school operator he is too. However, the accommodation and food on site were way below what you might expect. Progress is a small school and you benefit from the personal attention that allows. The facilities for when you are not flying are not as good due to the lower turnover.

43 is a good school too, I believe. It is MUCH bigger and has better non flying facilities but it's a production line.

From a flying point of view, Progress is far better situated for all your IR work as it's an 8 minute hop into the beacon at PE. From Port Alfred you have a 40 min transit to do every day before you can even start your profile. Believe me, when the OAT is 25deg at 5000' you want to be into the profile and out of it ASAP. You know what the weathers like down there.Very nice until you are 1 engine down without your AH, DI and visual reference, trying to hack a NDB approach with a 30Kt X wind ( that berg wind can really make flying interesting).

The way 43 get around all that transit time is to use it as your X country training hours.. but really, how much value do you get out of flying down the coast every day - not a challenging trip. The Progress X country on the other hand will see you up in Queenstown, George, Oudtshoorn, PA, and some very interesting spots out in the karroo ( Heard of Henry's flats? ). Final advantage of Progress that once you have passed your type ratings, John will let you take the aeroplanes away at the weekend so you can nip down to Capetown in 3 hours. I spent a very pleasant w/e in Plett.. nice to be able to fly yourself away for the w/e - and it all counts towards your x country and P1 time.

The choice is, big/small, facilities/flexibility, personal/factory production, transit/no transit.

Don't expect anything from the accomm at Progress but you will not find finer flight training.

And no, I don't work for Progress - wish I did, might get to fly once in a while!! Enough of my gripes.

More discussion available upon request. Good luck.

Nevergo.