PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 7th Jan 2012, 20:00
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]As I predicted, not one single BA pilot will give up what he already has. It's called " you Jack, I'm all right"./QUOTE]

JW411

We are making concessions, particularly those of us on short haul. We are taking a hit to work harder for the same cash to protect and maintain as best we can the terms and conditions of BA mainline whilst ensuring those who wish to join in the future are still joining BA (not the low-cost base driven alternative that would be spawned if we stuck our heads in the sand). Fling generalisations around as much as you please, frankly, your experience of what fruits militant unionisation may have brought during your time in the industry I'm afraid are no longer valid and are at best completely out-dated. We as a pilot workforce must play the hand we are dealt, and things in the industry are changing at a rapid pace. Be glad you experienced the good times.

The answer from some of our continental colleagues seems to be "just say no and see what happens". BASSA said no to everything for years to the point where they lost all sense of reason, and the result of such reticence to grasp reality has seen them reduced to an irrelevance. Their members have seen their career prospects destroyed and over time they will simply be recruited out of the company. SEPLA now have the same problem. BA pilots have an option to evolve or wither with the legacy cabin crew and our pilot counterparts in Iberia. It's a sandwich, no doubt, but we either move with the times or face extinction. IA will do nothing to halt the progress nor the direction of the industry, no matter how many barbs and accusations of self-serving spinelessness you may wish to throw our way!