PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes a Flying School a good school?
Old 7th Jan 2012, 17:33
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- Charging reasonable prices (not necessarily cheap but reasonable!)

- Having well maintained aircraft where ALL the equpiment inside work
Those two are largely mutually exclusive

Maintenance to a 100% functionality can be quite expensive, unless the aircraft has almost no avionics. I do that myself, but then I look after it well (including 0.5kg of silica gel in the cockpit, changed weekly), and it is hangared. And I actually use the avionics, whereas most renters are VFR only.

This topic has been done to death here many times, being closely tied in with what one can do to stimulate GA activity and reduce the % of pilots who drop out soon after getting their PPL.

I would put "mentoring" (yeah I know it is a currently trendy term, and a lot of people in the industry disapprove of it) very high up, and in the flying school context this means having experienced pilots as members and actively supporting them even if they are no longer customers.... even if they take passengers with them in their own plane (and possibly accept cost sharing contributions), these being passengers which the school regards as its own property

Lots of old chestnuts there You will solve the Euro debt before you solve these.

And this is why we have what we have. Most of the industry scraping out the bottom of the barrel with beaten up old wreckage.