PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots: Is Anybody Interested in Being One? (AVWEB)
Old 7th Jan 2012, 11:19
neville_nobody

Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
From my experiences people who are unhappy/bitter at the aviation industry because they got into it for the wrong reasons.

The ONLY reason you should become an airline pilot is because you actually like flying aeroplanes and enjoy aviation.

If deep down you want to be a pilot because:

1.You think you will be rich
2.You think you pull all glamours because you're a pilot
3.You think that the job is glamorous and you want to parade around in a uniform with a bunch of glamours entail.
4.Your parents want you to do it
5.You're a propeller head but don't really like flying or hard work

Then you are going to be bitter and disappointed. Most people who get angry at the industry fall into one of the above categories. Whenever I met someone who starts up with the aviation sucks routine I usually ask 'so why did you get into it' and usually the answer lies in one of the above.

If you like flying planes then go for it, otherwise go get a normal job and leave flying up to those who want to be there.

A couple years down the road I can almost bet you are in decent financial shape and you will look back and not regret what you and went through.
Not really it took me and most guys I work with more than 5 years to earn more than 50K. I had been flying professionally for 6.5 years before I got more than 50K.

Given that the graduate starting salaries are around 40-50K for year one you don't fly to be rich that's for sure.