PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttle , Just need to know
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2002, 12:26
Ace Rimmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr Syn
Nope I was but a pup in those days, in fact Uncle Rimmer was at the time working in Flight planning at JSC (it had just changed over from being MSC to JSC or pehaps that was a year or two later) and had decided to score some nephew points by allowing me to go with him to the launch on one of his tickets.
At the time Casa Rimmer was in Barbuda Lane in Nassau Bay and Gene from down the street was driving the beast.
He came to give a talk to my class at school after the mission (his daughter Tracy was in the same class) he brought along various bits of his EVA suit along, while most of the kids were scrambling to try on the helmet, I played with the outer glove when I put it down there was a graphite-like substance on my fingers. Cernan noticing this said yep that's the moon you have there. Still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Turned a kid interested in space into an "afficionado" in no time flat.

Funny thing, I ran into him at an airline conference a few years back, he was still very pumped about the whole astronaut thing (BTW he had a book I guess it's still in print "the Last Man on the Moon quite a good read)and in the course of our chat He recalled the incident said that he'd never seen a kids eyes get that big that quickly.