PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook & other tandem rotors discussions
Old 6th Jan 2012, 23:54
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think, that I have discovered the reason why my tandem loops on take off! I just want to see what the experts here on the forum think... The flapping hinges are too weak that allows the advancing blade angle to pitch up and with precession the result is a pitching up moment at the front of the rotor disk. What do ya think?
Admittedly, I'm no expert on rotor aerodynamics. But I believe the purpose of rotor hinge joints is to make them flexible, not stiff. Blade pitch itself is controlled separately by the swashplate linkage, and not much by the flap hinge. As for asymmetrical lift between advancing and retreating blades, there shouldn't be much in hover/TO.

As for Sultan's comments about the CH-47 being big, slow, noisy, etc., I would not necessarily call the CH-47 slow. I believe it's as fast as the current CH-53, and a bit faster than the current UH-60. The fore/aft driveshaft on the CH-47 is indeed much more critical than the interconnect shaft of the V-22. The forward rotor of the CH-47 is driven by this driveshaft alone, so a failure here would mean a loss of the aircraft.